Thursday, November 15, 2007

Linux setup

I used to think that UNIX is always difficult to install and understand. Yesterday I got old desktop (2001 DELL) and had to format and install OS. Its not worth getting licensed version of Windows on this system, because its just for my daughter to play :)
So decided to install LINUX, its really simple and what a interface. I looked around places for different LINUX version, but satisfied with fedora 8. I did following steps to install it and could complete within 2 hours

1. Downloaded Fedora from fedora (Live CD direct download), save iso file
2. Burn into CD - Check this link for burn CD using Nero
3. Turn on system with the CD, it picks up LINUX, login as root to get full permission

This can be installed into hard disk if needed. Cool stuff!!!

Instant connection to Internet without much setup, and lots of open tools.

No comments: